Monday, February 9, 2015

Makerspace?

I follow our local libary on instagram & was surprised when one of their posts mentioned a new area coming to our downtown Main library.  It's called Makerspace & consists of several work stations such as 3D printers, laser engraving, sound recording booth, vinyl banner printing, VHS to DVD conversions, a sewing center, button maker and the list goes on. You can sign up for free classes or request a one-on-one learning session.  I decided to go and check it out.

I was mostly interested in the laser engraving machine. It can engrave on steel, wood, plastic and glass.


After a recent trip to Goodwill where I found 2 heavy glass vases, I decided to take them with me to the library to see if I could engrave them.   I also brought a USB that was loaded with 2 of my monograms. You can create your own in Word, Adobe, etc. and the engraving machine can read most file types.  With some help from the librarian, we were able to get started with DIY engraving!  


How fun is that?  The librarian mentioned that several other large cities have their own Makerspace centers and that the general consensus among libraries is that learning is now becoming more digital and hands on.   Do you have this in your town?  We are lucky here in Cincinnati for our awesome library.


2 comments:

  1. That is soooo cool!! Which library? I want to try it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was at the main library in Downtown Cincinnati. You can make online reservations for any station!

    ReplyDelete