Monday, July 11, 2011

Brass Transformation

While at Goodwill this past weekend (the dressers were gone!), I spotted a nice brass console table for 50% off.  It was in great shape & I decided to go for it with the idea of changing the brass to chrome. I have blogged about this type transformation before back in May, and thought this was a great chance to try it out.    Here is the before pic:




I sprayed the 'secret ingredient' to the brass & let it sit for 30 minutes before rubbing it with fine
steel wool:



You can see in this pic that it is starting to do it's job.  


I cleaned up the glass shelves & moved the console into our dining room.


”chrome

”chrome

”chrome

My new table reminds me of this table on 1stdibs:

1stdibs

Do you have any brass pieces that could use an update? You should try it.

Linking up to:



Today's Thrifty Treasures @ Southern Hospitality
and

Happy Monday to you!


19 comments:

  1. The tables looks gorgeous now!! What a good find.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Perfect transformation. the table regained her beauty.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Does the metal tarnish after doing this and would it also work on the heavy brass lamps you find for sale at thrift stores sometime? I have two that I was trying to figure out what to do with and this looks really neat.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this info. I will look at those brass tables at the Goodwill in a whole new light.

    ReplyDelete
  5. To Anon,
    So far, there is no tarnishing & it still looks great. It's not in an area that gets much moisture so I think it will be fine. I would try it on some of those thrift lamps for sure. Good Luck! Karen

    ReplyDelete
  6. Totally awesome! I am now looking at craiglist for brass anything to make a great transformation! Thanks for sharing the tip!

    Tiffany {Living Savvy}
    www.savvydesignwest.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Awesome tip! I've never heard of such a thing :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. PS. I'm thinking this is particularly useful on old door knobs and sink faucets that are so expensive to replace... hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I wonder if it would work on door knobs which would be great. I just used it on some brass (?) pulls from my campaign desk & it did nothing. I am not sure if my pulls are actually brass or not so maybe this only works on the cheap brass overlay material? If you get it to work on your door knobs, please let us know! Thanks, K.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Thanks for great tip. I will never look at ugly brass the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Thanks for the great tip. I will never look at ugly brass the same way again.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Think this might work on shower trim?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I think it woe work on those yellow-brassy shower doors. If you try it, let me
    know. Thx!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. wow! love love love! a must try!! thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am definitely going to try this. I have bathroom fixtures I really like and hate to just throw them away. This is more cost effective too and I get to recycle.

    ReplyDelete