Friday, April 8, 2011

DIY Sunburst Mirror

Better late than never, right? I know bloggers have been making these forever so I figured it was time for me.  Some folks hate them & some love them. But when you make it yourself for almost nothing, there's nothing to lose.  I found lots of tutorials & here is a link to several pics of other bloggers DIY mirrors.  I loved this version but couldn't find the mirror at Target:



Here's what I used: 

                                                 Meijers:  1 pkg wooden bamboo skewers....$1.99
                                                               10" mirror.....$4.99
                                                 Hobby Lobby: Disc Hanger....$2.99 
                                                 Lowe's: Rustoleum Gold spray paint
                                                 Glue gun, glue sticks, charger plate

I drew lines on the back of my charger plate so that I would have something to help me keep the sticks straight.  Glue the sticks & be generous with the glue.  I let mine sit overnight. 


Wait impatiently  for a warm day to be able to spray paint:



Glue the mirror to the front. I used some Gorilla Glue that I had on hand.  I also attached the yellow Disc Hanger to the back.   Up it goes!




And I thought I'd post a cartoon from Bri @ Me, You & a Wiener Dog regarding the exact thing my husband is concerned about with our new Sunburst Mirror. If you haven't checked out her other hilarious cartoons or her blog for great DIY ideas, you need to see it.  She is really talented & funny!


Enjoy your weekend!



5 comments:

  1. Great job! and I laughed at the cartoon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Beautiful Karen - it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  3. bahahhah that was my favorite cartoon I ever made. And yes I am still scuuuured for my life every time I gets in bed.

    As long as you don't get a full blast of wind knocking it down I think you is good. It came out pretty nice!

    ReplyDelete
  4. HAhahah this is soooo funny. I like your version of the sunburst and I think I'm going to do one for myself...

    ReplyDelete