Monday, February 22, 2010

New Metal Railings!



When we finished our basement, I just couldn't see using the oak banisters that were installed originally leading down to the old dungeon. Now that we finished the basement, we needed a statement. This isn't our actual railing but you get the idea from this pic.






The hubs is pretty handy & always usually willing to carry out one of my 'creative' concepts. I found this picture in my 'The New Family Home' book and used it as my inspiration. See the black railings in the left side of the pic?









He has a metal bender out in his shop & bent these up for me. Put on a coat of black paint & up they go. I am really happy with how they turned out! metal railing






metal railing metal railing


Wondering though about the carpet that is getting pretty worn. I would like to pull it up & paint the risers & maybe put a carpet runner down the steps. Anyone (besides one of my favorite bloggers Thrifty Decor Chick...can't wait for her stair reveal!) else done this?

Linking up to:












10 comments:

  1. Wow thats so cool.. it really makes a statement.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the way the new handrails turned out! Your husband should go into business! They add such a modern twist to the room!
    I've seen several people blog about redoing their stairs and each time the results were amazing! I'll try to remember where I saw these and get back with you!
    Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  3. Neat idea! You've started the dreaded "and one thing led to another" project! lol

    I hope you'll swing by AtticMag to tour my home.
    Allison

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the new handrails. They are really cool. Jude

    ReplyDelete
  5. Very cool Stair Railings! Wow...your hubby did a fantastic job, and you had great vision! Thanks for linkin' up to Frugalicious Friday! I should tell you I grew up in Cincinnati...Mariemont! We live in Charlotte, NC these days. But Cincy will always be a special place for us!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Wow! Those are so super cool. Love that he did that and you have something no one else does. So awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wowie Zowie!! I LOVE these! Super cool!! Thank you for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. These rails are wonderful. Wondering what kind of metal you all used and how did you attach the brakets? We were trying to copy an existing rail that came with our house but it is super expesive to have one forged. Any info you could share about materials would be greatly appreciated.
    Thanks,
    Tammylee
    tammyleemarschall@msn.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. Tammy,
    We used hot roll steel & then welded the brackets to the railings. The brackets were then screwed into the studs in the wall so they would stay supported since they are heavy. Thanks for the nice comments! NG

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh my gosh, those are amazing!! I love them, and wish MY hubby had a metal bender thingee-ma-bob! I'm so jealous!

    ReplyDelete