Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Easy Homemade Goetta



Never heard of goetta? Its' a german Cincinnati thing. Here's a little history if your interested. My mother-in-law (MIL) gave this to me when we were first married & I've made it every winter. Its' not really a summer dish but a hearty winter breakfast dish. And did I mention easy? Love easy.

1 – lb. Of ground chuck
1 – lb. Of ground pork
1 – envelope French Onion soup mix
8 – cups cold water
2 & 1/2 – cups pinhead oatmeal

Put the 8 cups water in a deep pan. Place meat in water & boil. Put in the soup mix & pinhead oatmeal. Bake in oven for 3 hrs. First 1.5 hrs. @ 250 degrees, stirring every 30 mins., with a lid on the pan. Turn off oven. Leave in oven & stir every 30 minutes for another 1.5 hrs. Pour the goetta in loaf pans & refrigerate. After cooled, cut into slices & individually wrap & put in freezer. Your house smells awesome while this is cooking!
I am linking up to:








3 comments:

  1. Now I have had this in the past, and find it quite yummy! My Dad loves the stuff, however I'm not sure he has ever made it from scratch. Thanks for sharing... Dee Dee

    ReplyDelete
  2. Boy this recipe looks so much easier than the one I make. I'll be posting it soon :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never heard of Goetta but it sure looks easy and delicious! Thanks so much for linking up!
    Alissa

    ReplyDelete